Sunday 18 May 2014

Pastel de nata, Portugal


In Portugal the thing to try is pastel de nata, an custard (egg) tart. Back home I know these as Portuguese egg tarts, and I LOVE these things! We ate pastel de nata all over Lisbon so we got a good taste of all the different ones out there. All are good, but the BEST ones were just outside of Lisbon in an area called Belem. Pasteis de Belem has been making pastel de nata since 1837 and they are INCREDIBLE! The BEST I have EVER eaten!

Why? They look beautiful - the tops are a perfect blend of golden to lightly charred. The custard is a an excellent blend of creamy, yet light and the perfect sweetness. A lot of places have a dense and thick custard that is not my favourite. Then there is the crust, oh boy the crust. It is a little buttery without being too greasy. The degree of thickness is perfection as well. Not too much, and not too little. But most of all, it flakes in a way like I have never seen before.


There is ALWAYS a line up here but worth the wait

Try it with some icing sugar and cinnamon on top...can you hear my yummy noises?
I miss these!


~ Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment