Monday 21 October 2013

Cendol, chendol, bánh lọt, lot chong or whatever you want to call it...


...we've seen this around many times before but this time we dove right in and tried it. Was not sure what it was, and still do not. But gave it a try anyway. I mean look at it, not appetizing at all!

 The Famous Teochew Chendol

This my friends is a very popular dessert and while walking around Georgetown, we stumbled upon one of the oldest establishments of all. This particular cart (although upgraded), or should I say this family business, has been in Georgetown since the 1930s-1940s. There are many carts or restaurants that serve this, but we have never seen such pandemonium for one before!

 Teochew Chendol

This cart sits down an "alley" just off Jalan Penang and you cannot miss the line up! So of course you need to walk up to see what the fuss is about. We looked and we did not understand. So we looked some more. The milky liquid, the green pasta looking things, the red beans? Then someone eating a bowl with his family saw us and told me that I had to try. So I jumped in line, ordered something as I had no idea what it was called, and they give me a bowl of this for 2.10RM or about $0.70 CAD.

Ok, here goes! I dove right into the bowl with a heaping scoop as Jason looked on. Pure shock on my face as it lit up from how wonderful this tasted and Jason starts to laugh at my surprise. Not what I expected, and so good! Then I give Jason a go, and hey, he loves it too!

Do I trust Christine's review?
Yum, she's right!

It is coconut milk, ice, jelly noodle made green from pandan leaf, red beans, a light syrup, and sometimes other bits. It is cool and refreshing. The noodles just slide down your throat, the coconut milk is light and creamy, and all with just a hint of sweetness. So delicious! When in doubt follow the line, sometimes there is something to it, and it's worth it! This time I was the brave one to dive in head first on this one, and boy, we are so glad!

~ Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment