Friday 29 November 2013

Toilets in Asia


Our favorite toilets in the world are in Japan. They come in all shapes and sizes with plenty of buttons. Some will keep the seat warm, wash you (in varying spots and water pressures), and sing to you (flushing noises or other sounds to cover up the noises you are making). After using these ones, you will dream about them and no other will come close to the perfect toilet. If only the rest of the world had these.

 Toilet in Japan

Close up of all the buttons!

Alas, we could not stay in Japan, as we have a need to see the rest of the world. We cannot be tied down, as such, we will have to experience other toilets. Being on the road gives you the chance to experience a lot of toilets along the way. Some good, others not so much. You just have to be aware, and always be packing....change, Purell and tissues!

Some washrooms I've seen in Asia
 have a dedicated toilet for children!
It's tiny!

Asia is not the first time we’ve had to pay to use a public toilet. And not all toilets require payment, but you never know, so we always carry a little change with us (Tip #1). Tissues are a MUST. I have met many a toilet where there is no paper, sometimes I bypass them by accident when I enter the washroom, but a lot of times there just isn’t any. I ALWAYS carry tissue (Tip #2). Then there are times the sink is of poor working condition, and often no soap, so I will carry Purell (Tip #3) to sanitize in between. But these are all things you get used to and will become habit before you venture out each day.

My favorite sign - the raised toilet sign
(Western style toilet), I am very happy when I see this!

Also a favorite sign - Starbucks have Western style
toilets, but a sign is required for proper use...
see the "For your safety..." item on sign.
Excuse me, but how do you squat on a Western
style toilet?! I'd fall off!

What I cannot and may never get used to are the two different types of toilet styles found in Malaysia, China, Vietnam and others. You have your western style, and then you have your “squatter” style. Sometimes public washrooms will have both styles but often, it will be just one style (and usually not the style I was hoping for!). But when you have to go, you go!

 Horizontal urinal style squatter



Disneyland Hong Kong - all but one stall
was Western style

I took pictures of the cleanest squatter style toilets I could find - I'm saving you from some very disturbing images. And please be VERY careful when using these. Sometimes they are wet inside the stall (from cleaning). Once I went to use one, and almost slipped right into it! That was a close call!


~ Christine



No comments:

Post a Comment