Sunday 29 December 2013

Going to the Beauty Salon!


I finally succumbed and went to the beauty salon here while in Da Nang, Viet Nam. After months on the road I needed help. Jason has been "suggesting" I go for a while now, and because I hate having to try to find a new stylist, I kept on putting it off. Then to try to find one in a country you don't speak the same language, who knows how it will turn out! It's easy for a guy to sort of ask for what he wants, but for a female it is much more complex, how do I explain I want bangs, layering, texturizing, etc.? Well, I couldn't put it off any longer, so off I went, after I tried to google something first of course! I just picked the first place I could find, and there isn't a lot of places being reviewed online! With that being said, the place I did find a "review" for didn't even get their haircut there, just a wash, but oh well. I'm going. No point in stressing over it. It's hair and it will grow back...I hope!


I hopped in a taxi and within a few minutes of driving, I was there. I walked in, and that's where it stopped. No one spoke English! Then a man, who turned out to be a hairdresser, asked me what services I wanted. He showed me a menu with English and Vietnamese along with prices. Very helpful. I asked for a haircut. Then he started to go through the services and before I knew it, I was having a hair wash, ear cleaning and massage as well! Good sales person, ha ha.

Other clients getting facials, ear cleaning, etc.
The Ear Cleaning (Vay tai)
Never had this done before so I thought, why not? I was taken up some stairs into a dark room with a young woman who spoke a couple of words in English so we relied on body language. She gestured for me to lay down as she pulled her stool up to the table. She then found her head lamp and tools. Whew, some light. And to work she went, poking and prodding ever so gently in my ear. I was terrified of moving hoping I would not sneeze. She was very calm and very careful as she performed whatever it was she was doing. The thought of what is in there disgusts me! She took great care in what she was doing and I was grateful for that. It was interesting to notice the different sounds I could hear when she worked on various parts of the ear, at moments it was the sound of a soft swab and at others a heavier almost scrapping sound you would hear while under water. After 30 minutes of work it was over. I was glad. Would I do that again? Not likely, but it was interesting, and boy can I hear things now! ha ha. 25,000 VND ($1.25 CAD)

The Body Massage
I can never understand when someone says they do not like massages. I LOVE them! I have not had one since we started this journey, so it was long overdue. Although petite, she was extremely strong. It was very good, and for only 120,000 VND ($6 CAD...I am NOT kidding!)

The Hair Washing (Goi dau Nu)
This is not included with your hair cut. But it is also not "just a wash", it is 30 mins of a relaxing facial and hair wash. I was taken to another room for this service, where there were sinks and tables all lined up in a row. Unlike in North America where you sit in an awkward chair, and slide down until your neck rests on the sink, here you lay down, with your neck resting on the sink. A much better system. So much so, that the man next to me fell asleep! I could hear his quiet snore as he was having a facial done! First she washes your faces with a cleanser, then massages it for a bit. After she works on your hair shampooing and conditioning it about 3 times! How can you not love the idea of this?! 40,000 VND ($2 CAD)

Hair washing stations

The Haircut (Cat toc Nu)
The man who helped me when I arrived cut my hair. I was not able to explain what I wanted, but I tried to show a picture of a previous cut I had. I wanted it cut a little short, and apparently he understood the short part and before I knew it, he pulled out a razor and started at it! Oh well, I did say it would grow back! Ahhh. The communication was difficult, and trying to ask for some layering was a challenge, so I tried to fluff up my hair to show I wanted some lift (so my hair would not sit flat on my head). He did something and I sort of got what I wanted. In the end, I said thank you, laughed inside my head and paid. At least it is done, and I look less like a mop top. It's better but I miss my stylist back home! 70,000 VND ($3.50 CAD)

Waiting and wondering how my haircut will turn out!

This is what I got...much better than before!
But really, if I did not go I would not have had this fun experience! This place was not a fancy salon/spa. It was simple and offered good services. This place obviously caters to the locals, and as such, the prices reflected it. I was there for close to three hours and it was a total of 255,000 VND ($12.75 CAD)!

My bill for 255,000 VND
A big part of traveling for me is getting past how something looks on the outside and how you are used to doing things. Just go with it, and I hope to have a good (or at least interesting) experience!

~ Christine

No comments:

Post a Comment