Wednesday 23 April 2014

Chocolate con Churros in Madrid, Spain


Yes, this is worthy of an entire post - churros. You have probably guessed it, but I love churros. I can remember the first time I had one, Disneyland in California. That is probably why I love them so much, the memories of Disney. Regardless of what thrills it evokes for me, when I heard that churros and hot chocolate is THE breakfast in Madrid, I knew I had to have it. It is not hard to find, everyone sells them, but apparently, the most popular place to have them in Madrid is at San Ginés near Plaza Mayor. They have been serving chocolate con churros since 1894 so I would have to think they know a thing or two. This place is open everyday, 24 hours a day...be prepared to wait in line!


Waiter delivering cups full of hot chocolate
I am usually a purist in the sense that I do not like chocolate, nutella or anything of the sort on my churro, but when in Madrid...

Churros

Churros and Porras


Hot chocolate

The other variation of churro available is called porras (large churros, very similar to a Chinese donut) but I like the skinny ones to get more of a crunch. The hot chocolate was literally a cup of chocolate that was hot. The rich color gave me the impression it was also very thick, but it was smooth, silky, and thick enough to dip your churro in it but with a consistency you could drink. It was not too sweet, with a rich decadent chocolate-ty taste. Once all the churros are gone, you drink the rest of your hot chocolate. Eat this any time of day and you will not regret it!

Chocolate con churros

~ Christine

PS I will be sure to try this several more times to see if this one really was the best :)
San GinésSa
San Ginés
San Ginés

No comments:

Post a Comment